If you have any connection to the adoption world, you have probably heard about two pending pieces of legislation, the Foreign Adopted Children’s Act (FACE) and the Families for Orphans Act (FFOA). I heard about these two pieces of legislation about two weeks ago. With three young children and a job, it’s difficult to find time to read and digest these kinds of things. It’s even harder to find time to write a blog post about why I OPPOSE BOTH ACTS.
While my post about why I oppose these two pieces of legislation may have to wait, I felt it was urgent to get something up today to make my opinion known. You see, several groups who are lobbying for these acts are pushing a three-day blitz, starting today, asking people to contact their Congresspeople in support of this bill. They are also circulating a petition which will be presented to Congress.
PLEASE take the time to read the bills and the arguments for and against these bills before deciding they deserve your support. “Families for Orphans” sounds like a good thing, right? It sounds like something you should support, right? Well, I certainly support international adoption and orphans, but I CANNOT SUPPORT THIS LEGISLATION. Please know that as more and more people have time to read and digest these bills, more and more people have decided that they cannot support this legislation. Adoptive parents, adult adoptees, adoption agencies, adoption professionals, and adoption groups are speaking out and organizing against these pieces of legislation.
For more information, check out these links:
- H.R. 3070 (Families for Orphans Act)
- S. 1359 and H.R. 3110 (FACE Act)
- Ethica: Ethica’s position on pending legislation
- Voices for Vietnam Adoption Integrity (VVAI): Fighting for Orphans
- Our Valentines Day Treat: Love & Responsibility
- Catch the Trade Winds: Coming to America (and other legislative stuff)
- Stepping on Legos: Face? FFO(A)? What are all those acronyms?
- Harlow’s Monkey: The Foreign Adopted Children’s Act (FACE) and Families for Orphans Act
- Living in Color: Adoptive Parents Beware
- Jane’s Blog: The FACE Act
- Facebook: FACE the truth: Say NO to FACE
- Facebook: Preserve, Promote & Protect Families: Say no to FFOA
While today marks the beginning of the three-day blitz to contact government officials in support of these bills, those of us who oppose these bills should make contact over the next three days as well. If you oppose these bills, please call both of your U.S. Senators and your Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives. You can find your Senators’ phone numbers and email address at www.senate.gov. There is a scroll down menu with each state at the top right of the page. You can find your Representative’s phone number and email address at www.house.gov. Enter your zip code in the box at the top left of the page.
Ask to speak with the Legislative Director or Chief of Staff and tell them that as a constituent you are requesting their boss’ support by making their opposition known to these bills currently in committee. Provide them with both the names of the two bills and their corresponding bill numbers (the FACE Act is S.1359 in the Senate and H.R. 3110 in the House and the FFO Act is S. 1458 and H.R. 3070 in the House.) You can direct the staffer to contact the offices of Senators Landrieu and Inhofe or Representatives Watson and Boozman for information.
In addition to contacting your own members of Congress, please voice your opposition to members who sit on the four Congressional committees who will be the first to vote on these bills. The FACE Act will be considered by the House and Senate Judiciary Committee and also by the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. The FFO Act will be considered by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. Following is contact information for these committees
In the House:
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- House Judiciary Committee:
- Phone: 202-225-3951 (Democrats) or 202-225-6906 (Republicans)
- Members on the Committee who need to know of your opposition to the FACE Act: http://judiciary.house.gov/about/members.html
In the Senate:
- Senate Judiciary Committee:
- Phone: 202-224-7703 (Democrats) or 202-224-5225 (Republicans)
- Members on the Committee who need to know of your opposition to the FACE Act: http://judiciary.senate.gov/about/members.cfm
- Senate Foreign Relations Committee:
- Phone: 202-224-4651 (Democrats) or 202-224-6707 (Republicans)
- Members on the Committee who need to know of your opposition to the FFO Act: http://www.foreign.senate.gov/about.html